Welcome to Caught Red Bottomed! Coldplay Met Gala 2014 Red Carpet L.E.D. (Elley Duhe)

Oh Heel No!


Black Louboutin


Welcome back beauties! Today I thought I’d discuss a major problem that many girls face - walking in heels. Yes they’re beautiful and make you look good but if you don’t know how to walk in them, well you just look like a hot mess. 

Now I’ve always loved heels but I was never able to walk in them. I remember one of the first times I wore a heel I walked so awkwardly in them that the strap actually broke (yeah it was that bad). But the worst experience with heels I’d have to say is when my sister and I had a huge party for my parents 25th wedding anniversary and I chose that day of all days to wear like 6 inch heels for the first time - bad idea. I spent the whole night walking slow and clunky (basically imagine an ostrich walking on ice - yep that bad) and I got so frustrated with them that I traded shoes with a cousin who was seated most of the night and didn’t have to run around like I did (she was smart enough to wear flats). Let’s just say the whole thing was a nightmare.

I feel like walking in heels is like anything you really wanna pick up in life - it takes practice. But how do those supermodels and actresses walk around so confidently? - practice. I can promise you they didn’t come out of the womb walking in 6 inch heels. Walking in heels is like riding a bike - when you start off, you practice on training wheels before you can move to 2 wheels - just like if you’ve never worn heels, it helps to ease into it rather than attempting to walk in sky high heels your first time. 

Now, what I’m about to show you are what I think are the ‘training wheels’ before you can take the real high heels or even platforms eventually for a spin.
*disclaimer: when practicing to walk in heels, please practice in any season BUT Winter cause you know, a girl + heels in Winter looks like a cat on ice and that’s just not cute

Level 1: Low-Mid Heels

Now, I don’t really like the term ‘kitten heel’ when referring to shorter heels - it kind of makes them sound like a joke. But other than that, I think low-mid heels are the obvious starter heel when practicing to walk in heels. Because they are a shorter heel, it gives you the perfect introductory to walking a couple of inches off the ground. 

Now the first option is just a simple black heel with a height of 2 3/4in. I especially love this as a beginner heel because the width of the actual heel is wider, which gives you a bit more stability that if you were walking in a thinner heel. The next two ever so slightly raise the bar. The second heel is also a classic black, but with a less chunkier, 3in heel. And because these first two heels are a classic black, you can pretty much dress them up or down, which makes it easy to practice as much as possible. The third one is for is you’re feeling a little adventurous and want to add a little print to your wardrobe. Now I LOVE anything with a leopard print (like my leopard print scarf) so this heel is also perfect for any look just to add a little something something, and the heel is also just a bit higher at 3 1/4in (My perfect outfit for any of these looks is a plain white v-neck T-shirt with light wash boyfriend jeans either cuffed or just rolled up at the bottom (but of course you can where anything you fancy). 
Low-Mid Heels





I think any of these heels work great in spring when the weather is still a little crisp but honestly, these are so versatile you can wear them any season. 

Level 2: Wedges

Now I know ‘wedges’ may seem scary but I promise they’re not. Nowadays there are much more toned down wedges that appeal to the novice heel wearer. Now the reason that I like wedges as a second step is because they give you the same height a regular heel would have but with a lot more support. This will eventually help you get used to the height aspect of heels without being scared of tipping over. 

The first wedge I am SO in love with. It’s an amazing cutout peep-toe wedge that’s only 2.75in so it’s the perfect introductory height for first time wedge wearers. The second one is more of a sandal like wedge at 3.75in and the last one is 4.25in high. Now I know the heights might seem a little scary but of course with some practice, you can slowly build the height of the heel as you get more and more comfortable. 
Wedges

Now for these shoes, I just think wedges go together with summer like me and chocolate - it’s just meant to be. The cutouts on these wedges make them perfect to wear during the summer. 

Level 3: Ankle Boots

Congrats! You’ve made it to the final level of walking in heels (I know your feet may be tired but it’s almost over!). Now I love me a good ankle boot. But what I love most about them is the block heel most of them have. The block heel is the best of both worlds - the width of the heel isn’t too thin but at the same time doesn’t provide too much support like a wedge and because of this, the added element of height doesn’t seem too severe.

The first boot is a classic black with 3 1/4in heel and because it’s the classic black, it can be worn with any outfit. The second is an almost tan colour with a 3 3/4in and the last pair are more of a brown leather with 4 1/4in heel (which I actually own and love!) and had an added bonus of a 1 inch platform at the front. Now what I love about these last two is that the heels have a faux wood effect which pair perfectly with the earthy brown tones of the boots. 
Ankle Boots

As for these, I think the perfect time to wear them is during fall, when the are is a little bit crisp and you don’t wanna walk around with your feet freezing, but would still like to practice your runway walk. 


There you have it ladies, my three level system to walking in heels. And remember, practice whenever you can! I even spent time practicing walking in my hallways when I was at home! It’s all about patience and persistence, so don’t worry if you think you’re starting off slow, because in the end all that practice will have paid off when you’re strutting down the street in your 6 inch high heels and don’t trip over your feet. So stand up straight, be confident and start practicing! 


If you're interested in any of the items mentioned in this post, head over to my Luvocracy page* to purchase them. 

Don't forget to check our previous post: What Would You Like To See?


Stay stylish and stay fabulous! xoxo


*in case you were wondering what Luvocracy is, it's a site where you can purchase items based on people's recommendations from anywhere in the world. Instead of scouring the internet for the items, you can purchase any items a person recommends straight from the site, like all the items I mentioned in this post will be in a collection of the same name! For more info head here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics
Copyright © 2012 • Caught Red Bottomed • All Rights Reserved
Blog at Blogger.com • Template Galauness by Iksandi Lojaya | Edited by Arusha J