Welcome to Caught Red Bottomed! Coldplay Met Gala 2014 Red Carpet L.E.D. (Elley Duhe)

Do It For The Subscription


Do It For The Subscription

Welcome back to Caught Red Bottomed beauties! 

As we all know, there are many beauties subscriptions out there and I’d love to try them but at the moment I can only afford one. So out of all that are available, I went with Ipsy which I actually only learned about after seeing a friend of a friend’s Instagram picture (although I found out that this month’s Birchbox came with a Beauty Blender which I was really bummed about). 

If you don’t know what Ipsy is, it’s a beauty subscription service created by no other than popular Youtube beauty guru (I never really liked that term) Michelle Phan. Each month they send you 4-5 beauty and makeup products in a collectable make-up bag which goes along with their monthly theme. The products range from sample sizes (which are decent) to full size products. The price of the subscription is about $10 with free shipping in the US but if you live in good old Canada like me it’s $4.95 for shipping. Some of the brands involved include Urban Decay, NYX, Josie Maran, Coola, Mica, Pop, Pacifica, Mirabella, Big Sexy Hair and Pixi to name a few. 


Ipsy Products

Some of the products I've received. 

In order to figure out what products will be sent to you, you have to complete a beauty quiz which asks you questions such as describe your personal style, what brands do you love or would love to try and which makeup products of you love the most. Honestly, some of the questions are kind of pointless, like which beauty stylist (Youtube beauty gurus) can you relate to. I don’t think telling them which Youtuber I like the best is gonna help figure out what products are right for ME but oh well. 

I've been subscribed since April but I’ll have to admit, I’ve had a few mishaps with this service. In one of the bags I received a Yabi brand concealer pot which I was excited about, until I realized they sent me the lightest shade possible. I have no idea how this happened since in my beauty quiz the shade that best described my skin tone was tan/olive. The problem with this is that in the beauty quiz, the skin tones range from fair, light, medium, tan/olive, dark and deep. The problem you ask? My skin tone is in between tan/olive and dark and they of course don’t have an in between option. So although many people would probably like to receive concealers, I think it’s almost the same as getting one from the drug store - you can’t really swatch the shade to see if it’s right so you just guess which one looks like the right one - I don't like that. Another time I received a perfume sample (which I’m not really into) and when I opened up the bag the perfume had spilled from the little vile (which looked unopened) and all the other products and makeup bag reeked of the perfume. And also ladies, you have to be really careful about watching your account status. I was unsubscribed 2 times by Ipsy without warning or reason causing me to miss one month but the second time they were able to resolve it and I got my bag. 

But honestly overall, I’ve been impressed with what I’ve got. I’ve received multiple amazing hair products, lip products (my favourite was a sample of the Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Anarchy which can be seen here) and even full sized nail polishes (like Zoya which cost $9 a bottle) that I truly use and enjoy. And the makeup bags, OH THE MAKEUP BAGS. They are absolutely adorable and I love using them (one is my travel makeup bag, I use another one as a pencil case and another for ahem, you know lady stuff - essentially you can use them for anything). As for the price, I would love if they had free shipping for Canada too, but in the end the products they are sending plus the bags make up more than enough for the price.

Ipsy Glam Bag

The bags, OH the bags.

A few other tidbits about Ipsy: the site has it's own little community where you can share images, beauty looks or thoughts on the products. You even have the ability to swap products with other Ipsy users across the country. They also have a points system where you can collect points for reviewing your monthly Glam Bag items, referring friends or sharing links which you can use to collect various items. But all the prizes are kind of worth 1000 points which is kinda a bummer cause I don’t like posting links on Facebook and stuff saying ‘Hey check this out!’. 

A little note: If you’re interested in a beauty subscription, I say DO YOUR RESEARCH. There are SO many reviews out there so it’s easier to scope out which subscriptions have items that you prefer. They have different ones in every country so find one that’s right for 
you. 



Ipsy Glam Bag

This month's bag and theme.

Ipsy Products

The products I received for this month (love the lashes).

At the end of the day, I think Ipsy overall is a great beauty subscription service and I personally enjoy the products I receive. It's a reasonable price, reasonable products and sizes and I enjoy the fact that I not only get to try familiar brands, but brands I've never heard of or don't have access to here in Canada. Can't wait for my future bags!


If you’re interesting in signing up with Ipsy, please use my referral link.


Don't forget to check our previous post: Fab Five: Winter Edition - Part 2


Stay beautiful and stay fabulous! xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics
Copyright © 2012 • Caught Red Bottomed • All Rights Reserved
Blog at Blogger.com • Template Galauness by Iksandi Lojaya | Edited by Arusha J