Welcome to Caught Red Bottomed! Coldplay Met Gala 2014 Red Carpet L.E.D. (Elley Duhe)

April Ipsy Glam Bag “Unbagging”

April Ipsy Glam Bag “Unbagging”


Welcome back to Caught Red Bottomed beauties! Today I thought I’d review my Ipsy Glam Bag that I received for the month of April. This month's theme was Beauty Rocks!, inspired by the music festival season. 

If you haven’t seen it already, check out the post I did a while back on my review of the Ipsy beauty subscription service!

Urban Decay 24/7 Velvet Glide-On Eye Pencil in Black Velvet


I have to say this is the most exciting thing in the bag for me. I’ve always wanted to try the 24/7 glide on pencils since they’ve gotten such great reviews but I just never have. Plus, I was super excited after finding out this product was new to the Urban Decay line. I have to say the sample packaging is SO adorable and chic. When I received a sample of their Revolution Lipstick in a previous bag the packaging was just as adorable. When you open up the packaging you have a description of the product on the left, the product in the middle and a face chart with a sample look using the eyeliner. This claims to be different from their original 24/7 glide-on formula by being the ultra velvety and plush version of their creamy, waterproof 24/7 formula. It also claims to glide on smooth, blend easy and dries into a waterproof finish that won’t budge.

The sample is a generous 0.8g/0.03oz which is pretty decent considering it is a sample. The packaging is pretty much identical to the original 24/7 eyeliner with the exception of Velvet in the name. The one thing I was disappointed about was that the pencil was not a retractable one. I HATE sharpening eye pencils because they always end up breaking of while sharpening or become too sharp but we’ll see how this one handles.

When I swatched the eyeliner it went on as smoothly as it claims and is very pigmented. When I blended it out in my second swatch it became a nice smoked out colour which lives up to their claim in the description as “a smoky-eye fanatic’s ultimate liner”. I rubbed out the first swatch after a couple of minutes to see how it would smudge and it held up pretty well. I does seem like if you're using this product for a smoky eye you better work fast because it sets pretty fast once applied. I’ve been looking for something to line my tight line without smudging so I’m excited to see how well this works. 

Left image: Top is eyeliner on it's own, bottom is eyeliner smudged
Right image: The result of waiting a few minutes and trying to smudge both swatches 
Cailyn Tinted Lipbalm in Apple Pink


I didn’t really have high expectations for this next product. First thing I noticed was the product quantity. For such HUGE packaging, I opened it up and thought someone had stolen the other half of the lip balm or forgot to fill in it. It looked like the product was half empty which was very disappointing considering it’s a full sized product and doesn’t look as full as it does in images. The name of the colour also confused me because I have no idea what a pink apple looks like. When you look at the product itself, it almost looks like peachy pink colour with more of an orange undertone (it’s almost a dead ringer for NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Lodhi). However, I was pleasantly surprised be the swatch. It’s far more pigmented than it looks in photos. In the pictures it has more of a glossy look with a hint of colour but the swatch was very pigmented and actually looked more coral than what it looked like in the container. As per the description on the Ipsy site, it claims to be an ultra matte, super moisturizing lip balm with lasting staying power. Later I actually became excited by getting this product because the specific colour I received is not even on sale until June which added a little excitement knowing I was trying something that wasn’t even on the market yet. Overall, it looks like a really nice pigmented colour to try out for Spring. 

Swatches of the product in different lighting
Elizabeth Mott Pop! Goes The Shadow in Champagne


I’ve never really heard of this brand so I was intrigued. However, after this I think I’m going to request to not get eyeshadows anymore because honestly I’m not too much of an eyeshadow wearer and would rather receive more everyday usable products. That being said though, this colour is gorgeous. The packaging is very simple but is VERY generous and I was happy it was another full sized product. The colour is exactly as described - a shimmery champagne tone. It’s very shimmery and picks up the light great. It has a buildable pigmentation. I noticed the colour got richer and more pigmented as I kept layering it - which matches up with the description online of it claiming to have buildable colours. It claims to be long lasting, easy to apply and effortlessly blend able. It also claims to not crease which is something that can only be debunked after trying it out. 

Up to down: One layer of eye shadow, two layers, three layers
Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant


Now I love trying out new skin products so I was excited to see this in my bag. The size is also very decent for a sample at 0.25oz/7.5g. It also came in a squeeze tube which is always convenient. It claims tot gently sweep away dead skin cells and soften skin texture. The scent has almost a lime smell to it which I don’t mind. It actually smells VERY similar to the derma e Microdermabrasion Scrub I received in my July bag last year (which I mentioned in a previous post). When I swatched it, it had a very sugary, grainy texture which is expected of a scrub. I did notice though that once I began to rub it in my skin the smell actually intensified (does that mean it’s really working?). Now I really can’t comment too much else on the product but I’m really excited to see if it lives up to the hype. 

Demeter Jasmine Roll On Perfume

Now I have to say this was the least exciting thing in my bag. I love perfumes but I haven’t really love the perfumes Ipsy has been sending my in my glam bags. Especially since the last time I got a perfume sample it leaked all over the bag and got on everything else so fragrances are another thing I plan on requesting to not receive anymore. That being said, it was nice that it was another full sized product and the fact that it was a roller made it convenient. The packaging did however remind me of those roller lip balms I used to love in the 90s (hopefully no one I know mistakes it for a lip gloss). 

Anyone remember these? Looks similar right?
The scent is a very strong Jasmine scent - no surprise since it’s in the name. Now, I don’t mind the Jasmine scent (we actually have a beautiful Jasmine plant in the house that blooms every year) but I just am not too crazy about the scent as a perfume. Plus the scent was a little more offensive and strong than sweet and floral. To be honest, the scent actually seemed a little more like something a mature woman would wear - it just didn’t come across as a young and fresh scent to me. Any who, I’ll probably just end up giving this to my mom or aunt since they love a good Jasmine perfume.

Worth the money?

Now I thought I’d show you a price comparison of what each item in the bag is worth compared to its full size product if it’s a sample size or the actual worth of the product if I received a full size. Since I am otherwise a frugal person, I like to know if I can get more bang for my buck per say, so this is for anyone who wants to see if you're really getting your money's worth when ordering a glam bag. This is to show the overall worth of the bag compared to the price I actually paid for it. 

Urban Decay 24/7 Velvet Glide-On Eye Pencil in Black Velvet
Full size: 1.2 g/0.04 oz
Full size price: $20.00
Sample size: 0.8g/0.03oz
Sample size price (estimated*): $15.00 
*I calculated the price of the sample by using the full sized versions price. Every 0.3g/0.01oz is worth $5, there for the full size of 1.2g/0.04 oz being worth $20.00. Since the same is only 0.3g/0.01oz less than the full sized, the estimated worth of it would be $15.00

Cailyn Tinted Lipbalm in Apple Pink 
Full size: 14oz/4.0g
Price: $19.00

Elizabeth Mott Pop! Goes The Shadow in Champagne


Full size: 2g/0.07 oz
Price: $12.99

Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Skin Exfoliant
Full size: 60 g/2 oz
Full size price: $78.00
Sample size: 7.5g
Sample size price (estimated*): $9.75
*Based on cost per gram which is $1.30 per gram

Demeter Jasmine Roll On Perfume
Full size: .29 oz Roll
Price: $10.00

Estimated worth of products in bag: $66.74
Price paid (with shipping): $14.95

Now my math might not be 100% accurate on the two sample sizes I received, but if you calculate the full sizes alone they come up to $41.99 alone which is obviously WAY more than the $14.99 I paid, plus I got a free makeup bag too.

Overall, I’d give this bag a B+.

If you are interested in trying out Ipsy, you can sign up with my referral link

Have you tried Ipsy or any other subscription boxes yet? Have you tried any of the products mentioned above? Let me know in the comments below!

Don't forget to check our previous post: MTV Movie Awards Red Carpet

Until next time, stay beautiful and stay fabulous!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics
Copyright © 2012 • Caught Red Bottomed • All Rights Reserved
Blog at Blogger.com • Template Galauness by Iksandi Lojaya | Edited by Arusha J