Welcome to Caught Red Bottomed! Coldplay Met Gala 2014 Red Carpet L.E.D. (Elley Duhe)

She Is Kawehi

She Is Kawehi

Kawehi


Welcome back to CRB and happy music Friday! Now, usually I would be introducing you to an artist or band that has been in my collection for a very long time but this artist (whom I only discovered literally 2 days ago) blew my mind so much I just needed to write a post about her. Her name is Kawehi and she is a Hawaiian singer-songwriter now living in good ol' Kansas. Now what's so different about her you ask? She is Superwoman - well not literally of course but she literally does it all - she's a one-woman band. She uses synthesizers and a looping station to record her voice for different instruments and background vocals and she even beatboxes (female beatboxers are always cool - right up there with female break dancers imo). 

Kawehi
How cute is this drawing she made of her setup 
Now I was just browsing my Facebook feed one day and an old high school teacher I have as a friend (yeah long story short he's only 29, was the best and most inspiring teacher I've ever had and still to this day is the person I turn to for advice - he's awesome) posted a link to this video. Now, this man has great taste in music and is a self proclaimed Nirvana freak (I actually got into Nirvana in high school after being introduced by him) so when I saw that this video was a cover of Nirvana's classic Heart Shaped Box I knew I just had to see it. And that's all it took - this one video of Kawehi. I was SO amazed by all the sounds she was making and the arrangement of the whole song. Now if you've ever seen or heard the original song you'd know it's a little out there (and the video is actually super weird) and she managed to maintain the eeriness and the vibe of the song while putting her own twist on it. It's just amazing. After hitting replay about 40 times (I kid you not I was listening to that cover the whole day) and sharing it with almost everyone I knew, I watched the rest of her videos which were the same amount of amazing. And this cover has like blown up EVERYWHERE. Everyone from Spin Magazine to the Huffington Post mentioned this cover on their sites and even the actual Courtney Love tweeted her video saying she loved it. This girl's going place I tell you.


The infamous cover (plus how awesome is that
 giant bottle of wine just chilling in the corner)


Kawehi
Kawehi at work
Her sense of musicality is what really makes me think she's amazing. Her arrangements, talent and dedication make listening to her such a pleasure. She also creates her own music (links below) which are just as amazing as her covers and of course because she literally is 100% her music from the production to the lyrics to the vocals, she truly amazes me as an artist and it is so refreshing to see someone with such passion to make completely unique music. I expect nothing but amazing things from Kawehi for the future and I know she's going to go far. 

Her covering the late great MJ's The Way You Make Me Feel

Payphone by Maroon 5

Ellie Goulding's Lights
     

Her own original song I'd Never Tell which is SO awesome (and how cool is this video?!) 

And finally one of my favourite of her originals, Robot Heart (if you're having trouble viewing it click here)


Don't forget to check her out like everywhere!

Thanks so much for tuning into another music Friday! 

What do you think of Kawehi? Let me know in the comments below!

Don't forget to check our previous post: Spring Beauty Trends 2014 - Part 1

Until next time beauties, stay musical and stay fabulous! xoxo

Samia


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics
Copyright © 2012 • Caught Red Bottomed • All Rights Reserved
Blog at Blogger.com • Template Galauness by Iksandi Lojaya | Edited by Arusha J